Recommended Maximum Fertilizer Rates
Spring 2007
The chart below provides a guideline for maximum rates and best positioning of various fertilizers in a one-pass seeding operation. Following these recommendations will provide the best results in avoiding emergence delays and maximizing emerging plant populations. Good emergence will position your crop for timely maturity and maximized yields.
Crop
Nitrogen
Actual P
Sulfur
Actual K
Wheat
Mid-row, no max.
In-row, 45 - 50 #/ac. (50 - 56 kg/ha) max.
Mid-row, no max.
In-row, 15 #/ac. (17 kg/ha) max.
Barley
Mid-row, no max.
In-row, 45 - 50 #/ac. (50 - 56 kg/ha) max.
Mid-row, no max.
In-row, 15 #/ac. (17 kg/ha) max.
Oats
Mid-row, no max.
In-row, 45 - 50 #/ac. (50 - 56 kg/ha) max.
Mid-row, no max.
In-row, 15 #/ac. (17 kg/ha) max.
Canola
Mid-row, no max.
In-row, 25 - 30 #/ac. (28 - 34 kg/ha) max.
Mid-row, no max.
In-row, 15 #/ac. (17 kg/ha) max.
Flax/Mustard
Mid-row, no max.
In-row, 15 #/ac. (17 kg/ha) max.
Mid-row, no max.
In-row, 15 #/ac. (17 kg/ha) max.
Peas
None Required
In-row, 15 #/ac. (17 kg/ha) max.
Mid-row, no max.
In-row, 15 #/ac. (17 kg/ha) max.
Lentils
None Required
In-row, 15 -20 #/ac. (17 - 22 kg/ha) max.
Mid-row, no max.
In-row, 15 #/ac. (17 kg/ha) max.
Chick-peas
None Required
In-row, 20 - 25 #/ac. (22 - 28 kg/ha) max.
Mid-row, no max.
In-row, 15 #/ac. (17 kg/ha) max.
Canary Seed
Mid-row, no max.
In-row, 25 #/ac. (28 kg/ha) max.
Mid-row, no max.
In-row, 15 #/ac. (17 kg/ha) max.

Phosphate (P):
  • The best position for P, up to the maximum levels shown above, is in the seed row as early availability (first 3 to 4 weeks) of P is critical to maximize plant health and yield potential.
  • Approximately 30% to 40% of P used by the plant comes from P placed with seed in the same crop growing year. The remaining 60% to 70% comes from existing levels usually applied in previous years.
  • Mustard, flax and peas are sensitive to salt effect from P (phosphate) fertilizer which can delay emergence, reduce seedling populations and delay crop maturity. Consider using the phosphate application rate flexibility provided by cereal crops grown as a part your crop rotation for managing P rates for sensitive crops. Placing higher rates of P with cereals allows for lower rates to be placed with sensitive crops.
  • It is not recommended to place the P in the nitrogen band since the toxic band created by the N will prevent the roots from accessing the P until the N has diffused sufficiently, which may be after the 3 to 4 week early season critical period for P uptake by the crop.
Sulfur (S):
  • N content of sulfur fertilizer is generally the most important factor when considering the amount of sulfur. Mid row placement is recommended to prevent emergence delays, a reduction in seedling populations and maturity delays.
  • Sulfur is highly mobile in the soil so mid-row placement is recommended.
Potash (K):
  • K is most efficient with the seed, second best is mid row, and worst placement is broadcast.
  • The negative salt effect on seed with rates greater than 15 #/ac. (17 kg/ha) of K can produce emergence delays, reduced seedling populations and maturity delays.
  • If more than the safe maximums of K are called for, recommended practice is to mid row band additional K.
Nitrogen (N):
  • Minimum separation of 2 to 3” (50 to 75mm) between the seed and N is required to prevent potential seed burn.
  • A good understanding of the nitrification process is important for all one-pass seeding producers, as it is key to the decisions made in placing nitrogen fertilizer in a single pass.
  • Because nitrogen is highly mobile in the nitrate form (after conversion from ammonia and ammonium), mid row banding is very effective and is recommended.